Thursday, January 10, 2013

Job Offer Dilemma


This week has been crazy with what seems like endless interviews.  Though the interviews have only been with 3 companies, I have had 2 rounds of interviews at each one.  The all offer something different that I am looking for. Here is the the scope of companies in order of my preference:

Pros  Cons Neutral

Company A:  

  • Busy position with multiple responsibilities 
  • Managed under multiple people
  • Room for advancemnt
  • Salary is exactly what I asked for
  • Medical and Dental Benefits
  • Life Insurance, Long Term Disability and Short Term Disability
  • RSP Contributions after 1 year
  • 3 weeks vacation + 10 personal days and 0.5 festival day of choice in July/August.
  • Located downtown, public transit necessary or pay for parking $250+ per month.  
  • Large firm with approx. 90 employees
  • Reputable


Company B:

  • Busy position with multiple responsibilities 
  • Managed directly by partners
  • No room for advancement
  • Salary is significantly higher than asking
  • No real benefit account, but $200.00/year flex account (covered under spouses benefits anyways)
  • Long term Disability Insurance
  • Located in suburb,  20 minute commute and free parking
  • Small firm, with approx. 10 employees
  • Overtime banked at 1 hour OT = 1.5 hours banked
  • 2 weeks vacation (3 weeks after 2nd anniversary)
  • Current staff seems significantly older in age
  • Office sometimes closes early on Friday = free time off + bottle of wine from firm


Company C:
  • Busy position with focus one task area
  • Self Managed
  • Little room for advancement
  • Salary slightly below expectation
  • Medical & Dental Benefits
  • RSP Contributions after 1 year (group plan)
  • Located Downtown, but public transit pass subsidized 24%
  • Life Insurance and travel insurance
  • Heath Account after 1 year (for gym passes or whatever promotes health)
  • 2 weeks vacation
  • Large firm with 100+ employees


My dilemma is that Company C, has presented me an offer,  however I am still waiting to hear from both Company A & C.  If I had only interviewed at company C, I would accept the position; however, there are points that attract me to company A & B.  I need to let Company C know by Monday afternoon if I want to proceed with the hiring process.  

Company A = 1st choice, but waiting for offer

Company B = an Awesome salary (money talks, right?), but waiting on offer

Company C = guaranteed employment!

Luckily I have the weekend to think about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment